Programme: Erasmus+ (https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/node_en)
Project Name: Forestry Higher Education Advancement in Laos – FORHEAL
Submission Number: 585884-EPP-1-2017-1-FI-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Total Budget: 998 752,00 €
Call for Proposals: EAC-A03-2016
Lead Partner: UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI (https://www.helsinki.fi/en)
- CZECH UNIVERSITY OF LIFE SCIENCES PRAGUE (https://www.czu.cz/en)
- UNIVERSITY OF FREIBURG https://uni-freiburg.de/en/
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LAOS https://www.nuol.edu.la/
- SAVANNAKHET UNIVERSITY https://sku.edu.la/campus/
- SOUPHANOUVONG UNIVERSITY (https://www.su.edu.la/)
Aims and objectives
The overall aim of the project is to strengthen the forest-related higher education system in Laos to improve domestic capacity to sustainably manage forests for the benefit of the people and the environment, while at the same time enabling Laos to effectively respond to the demands and opportunities of international processes such as the Agenda 2030 (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
The specific objectives are:
- Support three Lao HEIs to develop and improve their respective MSc forestry programs as follow:
- Curricular review and upgrade of the existing MSc forestry program at National University of Laos (NUoL);
- Curricular development and support for the accreditation of a new MSc forestry program at Savannakhet University (SKU) in cooperation with Hue University in Vietnam;
- Support the Souphanouvong University (SU) in the development of a new MSc forestry program; build on the experiences of NUoL and SKU, and to prepare a roadmap for implementation.
- Improve the employability of graduates by matching the curriculum with national and regional needs, promoting internships and work experience opportunities with relevant employers, and enhancing the training capacities of academic staff.
- Support South-South cooperation and exchange to improve the quality and availability of teaching and training capacity in Laos.
- Strengthen links and cooperation between Lao and EU HEIs, including academic and staff visits.